Cloud ACS - Pros and Cons first-hand
Even many manufacturers began to make door locks with control via a smartphone. The queue for access control systems and the operation of buildings and structures. And here I want to discuss the pros and cons of cloud ACS known to me, because I work in a team that develops one of these systems.
Discuss, so far, regardless of the profile of the object, whether it is housing, an industrial enterprise, a warehouse, a shopping center, a business center or an educational institution.
I will list the obvious pros and cons of cloud ACS
- Applications for a pass are processed online, without the need to fill out paperwork and collect signatures of approval.
- The pass is available for editing to both the manager, and the receiver, and SB, moreover, with online notification of the pass holder in a messenger convenient to him, SMS or email. mail about the changes.
- Convenient access to ACS data for the head of administration, security chiefs, personnel department, especially in enterprises with a branch network, at any time, from any PC with a web browser, on a mobile device. Vacation, business trip, sick leave - not an obstacle to inquire about current affairs, look at the statistics.
- Implementation on site without complex design. Because the topology of web services makes it easy to change those. processes and logic, possible errors of the initial scheme can be easily corrected already in the process of operation and choose the optimal structure of the checkpoint, checkpoints and to clarify the mode of the facility.
- No special qualifications and training are required for customization, and especially for management. Modern programming tools are so focused on creating software products that are intuitive to use, that the created cloud services are doomed to be just manageable and easy to use.
- The low cost of equipment due to its practical absence. High-performance micro-PCs Arduino, Rasberry, Orange replace specialized controllers. All the logic goes to the server part and to the RAM of mobile devices, smartphones. Smartphones replace the usual RFID cards and key chains, providing savings on consumables. An opening effect on the castle, the turnstile has the very tiny element of the IoT of the Internet of things. Cheap because of its simplicity and production runs.
example of an ACS structure as a cloud service
As you may have guessed, these were arguments in favor of ACS web services. I’ll be honest and without hiding, I’ll list all the arguments against using ACS as a cloud solution.
- Store user data in the cloud. Risks of loss of information for technical reasons, leakage to third parties. These risks can be reduced by distributing micro-services across a larger number of data centers (data center) and choosing reliable suppliers of this service with a TIER class of 3 or higher.
- Some users lack smartphones. Unwillingness to use a personal smartphone for business purposes. To solve this problem, the company’s manager has the option of printing a QR pass on a receipt printer, which under the line is more profitable than issuing a key fob or card.
- The presence of an ACS installed at the facility established years earlier, but working correctly, although outdated. In this case, there is an option to apply the API (application program interface) standard in web services for integration and expand the functionality to the desired one. Moreover, as a rule, integrations are already written to most well-known access control systems.
- The traditional unwillingness of hired employees to abandon familiar systems and technologies, no matter what is in favor of more efficient and profitable technological analogues.Middle-level sabotage at the approval stages can and often forces management, owners to surrender and abandon modernization.
But the leader of the counterarguments that I just heard is the classic "... what if the Internet goes down." I have no words here, and an old joke comes to my mind:
"I am the most important," Al said boldly. Mail, everyone reads me! No, I’m more important, ”the Internet said quietly, you live in me. Electricity sighed quietly and turned away. "
And so, I invite you to debate on the pros and cons of the Internet in security systems, in particular ACS. Please feel free to comment on what you disagree with, I will be glad to hear criticism, object or honestly agree. Feel free to speak publicly in PM.